Depending upon where you live in the United States and how you have been addressing the challenges of the pandemic, it’s entirely possible that your business has suffered and/or your motivation is reduced. While there are many folks who are busier than ever before, there are still many others that are facing their own personal and medical challenges—such as home schooling, preparing meals at all hours, and just balancing the new tasks associated with staying home much, much more than ever before.
Whichever group you fall into, I do want you to be successful in 2021 and beyond. And, if your motivation may be waning, I’ve provided you with this handy list of 8 ways to increase your motivation in 2021.
8 Ways to Increase Your Motivation in 2021
- Make a deal with yourself. This is a great way to overcome procrastination and get things done. Make the deal with yourself—small or large. You simply tell yourself something like: When I’m done with these 10 calls to past clients, I can take a walk in the park or enjoy a snack.
- Act like it. If you don’t feel motivated or enthusiastic then act like it—even if it just means going through the motions. The strange thing is that within a few minutes you will actually start to feel motivated and your mood will be elevated.
- Ask yourself uplifting questions each morning. Here’s what you do; every morning ask yourself empowering questions such as “What am I excited about right now?” or “What am I happy about now?” (Also, check out the Pipeline Planner journal and Pipeline Planner for tons of thought-provoking questions that may motivate you.) These reflection questions are great because they help you to recognize things you take for granted and then they really get you to feel those positive feelings.
- Move the goalposts. Set a large and specific goal—perhaps related to your monthly sales or appointment schedule. A big, lofty goal will motivate you much more than small goals. A big goal has a big impact and can create a lot of motivation.
- Do something small to create flow. Clean your desk or pay your bills. Just get started. When you have finished that small task you’ll feel more alert and ready to go do the next thing. So if you really don’t feel like doing anything, start with something small and work your way up.
- Do the toughest task first. This will ease a lot of your day-to-day worries and boost your self-confidence for the rest of the day. If you have a hard phone call to make or some time-consuming paperwork, try to accomplish that right off the bat. The pressure will be off after that, and you will feel a great sense of accomplishment. Another suggestion is to exercise in the morning. Then, by 9:00, you’ll feel a great sense of accomplishment since you’ve already completed your workout!
- Start slowly. Instead of jumping into something, start slowly. If you have trouble getting motivated to make calls, make 3 the first day, 5 the second day, and so on. When you do that your mind will not visualize the task as something hard that you have to do fast, fast, fast. Yep, you don’t get started.
- Compare you with you not with others. With social media groups of agents often showing lots of people in only their most positive light, it’s easy to start to feel bad if you are not closing the number of transactions they are or having the success it appears that they are. Only compare YOU with YOU. There are always people ahead of you. Most likely quite a bit of people. And a few of them are miles ahead.
My hope is that you will carve your way in 2021 and find your new normal. Hopefully, this article will give you a starting point to do just that! Best wishes to you for a happy, healthy holiday and an excellent new year!